Hi! My name is Michelby, but most people call me Coco!
As a publicist, I work with individuals and organizations who want to increase media visibility. I am also a contributor for several popular sites. As much as I enjoy being a MEDIAnista, I need a space where I can express myself s as it relates to entrepreneurship, pop culture and pretty much whatever I deem important. And this is it! CoCo Curator is all about me, personally and professionally, curating content from the corners of my mind.
Here are some fun facts about moi:
- I’m a south Louisiana native. That means a whole lot of things—including the fact that if your gumbo doesn’t look and taste like ours, it deeply offends me.
- I LOVE music! My taste is diverse and I often speak in song lyrics. Don’t believe me? Just watch.
- I got soul and I’m super bad. I’m also Black and I’m proud.
- Nostalgia gives me life, particularly things from my childhood.
- I’m a PK (that’s short for preacher’s kid if you haven’t been to church in a while).
- I try to honor my late grandmother in everything I do.
- I expect to have a fairytale princess marriage, but I refuse to kiss frogs.
- I’m passionate about helping people find their purpose in life.
Need a media savvy speaker for your event? Shoot me a message here.
Michelby Whitehead began her career in media as an undergrad at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, LA. Her first “proud moment in PR” was media training a client for the Oprah Winfrey talk show. After college graduation in 2008, she began work immediately in New Orleans at the national headquarters of ACORN (Association for Community Organizations for Reform Now) where she served as its online communication coordinator. Eventually, the organization dissolved all its U.S. offices, and Michelby found herself unemployed.
Refusing to let her degree and her passion for communications go to waste, Michelby began to build her brand as a publicist while working in elementary, secondary, and higher education.
“If you want to be your own boss, start where you are until you’re able to do what you love full-time. I was running my public relations firm while I had a 9 to 5. I’m pretty sure I have over 100 press releases saved on my former employer’s computer, but all is fair in love and the pursuit of self-employment!”
Since becoming a full-time entrepreneur in 2013, Michelby has gotten clients visibility via BET, Ebony, Essence, Tom Joyner Morning Show, The Root, and FOX Atlanta just to name a few.
Naturally, writing has always been Michelby’s favorite pastime. She has provided content for Curly Nikki, Xo Necole, Madame Noire, Black & Married With Kids, and Cassius to name a few. She is also a former editor at Cocoa Fab and Yandy Smith’s Everything Girls Love.